Thursday, January 14, 2010

I Will Surive!

The hardest thing about planning is that every time I start it seems like the universe is in direct opposition to the direction I am going. That may be why I have in the past been reluctant to write down plans. I really don’t think that first statement is true but it sure feels like it. When I write things down they become more real to me and therefore I can become disappointed if they don’t go as planned. But if there is one thing I know life never goes as planned. Still, I am striving to be adding content to my life and not letting the ups and downs of life direct me, so writing it down is the right thing to do for me.

Here is what I have learned this week:
1. Stand up for yourself just like you would for a friend.

2. Don’t let life control you- make a conscious plan to go on with your values.

3. Keep your perspective-Don’t be overwhelmed and rely on your support network.

Recently, I had a chance to follow through on an important promise to myself. I have always struggled with self esteem issues even though I had a wonderful childhood. I tend to avoid conflict as much as possible in order to make things work. This can be a good quality but also can grow into something harmful. I am loyal and stand up for my family and friends, now I have to do the same for someone I have neglected, myself.

At work there has been a very stressful environment because of the economy. I am not a perfect employee, but it became clear to many besides myself that some people in my department had me targeted and were hoping to get me laid off. In the past, I would just work harder and think everyone would notice my hard work. This time I took action for myself. I set up meetings with my boss, then their boss and eventually the owners. I had facts in support of my claims and I just didn’t stop until I clearly stated the situation and made people listen. The results have so far been positive, and not matter what I feel so much better about myself!

Of course the universe or unforeseen circumstances had to raise its ugly head. This week I found out that I have pneumonia and some other underlying conditions this week. My mother is struggling with her heart failure and the delicate balance it takes for her to stay stable. My grandmother fell down and had to use lifeline to get help. My husband is having a much harder time with his paralysis and health, his leg gives out without notice and he hits the ground. The most surprising development is a family member has been diagnosed with cancer this week.

We have each other and Jehovah and our sure hope for the future. I could be searching for a loved one in the rubble of an earthquake or facing many other tragedies that are worse than anything I have had to cope with. We will survive and thrive! We will not let life push us into merely surviving; we will trust in our hope and live.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you don't mind if I keep you in my prayers?

    I don't know you, but you appear to have the strenth and outlook needed to help you through these termoils.

    ReplyDelete