Sunday, December 27, 2009

Stop Wishing Start Planning

It takes as much energy to wish as it does to plan
Eleanor Roosevelt

Have you ever noticed that writing something down makes it seem to be more tangible and real? Why does it seem so hard to go from wishing to planning?

I don’t know why I need to be reminded of this lesson time and again, but I can say I rediscovered it again recently.

Energy is something precious to me. It seems like I never have enough to go around. When I woke up and realized I was cutting all the things I enjoy in life just to survive, I wondered what I was surviving for.

In order to have meaningful content in your life you have to have something meaningful to add as content, and that doesn’t mean just sitting back and wishing. By taking a few steps of reconnecting and nurturing friendships in the past two weeks I have felt an amazing sense of accomplishment. The energy spent to take these first steps was small in comparison to the reward.

While my life feels fuller and more interesting I am going to make sure and take another step forward, and yes, I am going to write it down.

  • I am going to try one new thing every week that I haven’t done before.
  • I am going to write something creative every day.
  • I am going to not let setbacks keep me from trying again.

Thank you to everyone who has made comments and offered support. I hope to return the favor to you and others. We are all precious let’s treat ourselves like we are.

Michelle

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to disagree with Eleanor. I think wishing and planning are 2 very different things.
    I'm a very detail oriented person, and I do not take on projects until I have thought through the entire process and decided which is the right way for me to handle everything.
    The result is that I do not start many things, just go with the flow and deal with the decisions of others.
    Frankly, a lot of the time I am using my energy and abilities to bail out others who jumped in and started things without knowing where all the steps would lead.
    I generally have contingency plans for my contingency plans.
    It drives those around me nuts. And I do not accomplish near what I am capable of.
    I'm curious what the new things you will be trying are to be. I'm racking my brain and not coming up with anything I want to try.
    Remember the wonderful book I found years ago that talked about the shrinking comfort zone?
    That's me.
    And I believe you about not letting any setbacks keep you from trying again.
    That's the Michelle I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be hard when we feel that we are helping others to fix the things that they started and didn’t think about finishing. I guess we need to start our own plans and let others take care of theirs for awhile. (or lack of)

    Thanks for the encouragement, and I know you will think of a plan just for you!

    ReplyDelete