Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Is My Loneliness Contagious? 7 ways I cope with loneliness

In a recent study Alone in the Crowd: The Structure and Spread of Loneliness in a Large Social Network, researchers suggest that loneliness is contagious.

Just what I need, another reason to feel guilty, a gnawing hunger for a deeper connection is now infecting my friends!

Lately, my circle of friends has shrunk. So as part of my journey to make my life more meaningful, I have been putting aside fear and reaching out to others.
After all, friends are one of the sweetest and most enjoyable parts of life.

Here are 7 ways I have been dealing with my loneliness.


  1. I admit that I am lonely and that it doesn’t have to be permanent- I can change it.
    This is hard because I feel as if I am lacking some skill that everyone else has. (That is the loneliness talking.)

  2. Give myself a break! Life has been throwing me a lot of lemons in the past few years and I am getting tired of lemonade. I give myself permission to take time to recover.
    Now the hard work starts.

  3. Learn to be more accepting and content with myself. I have been working on adding meaning to my life and doing more things that I enjoy.

  4. Be Healthy- I have fibromyalgia and a balanced schedule that provides adequate rest and good food as well as exercise is essential to me.(Sometimes, I am more successful at it then others)

  5. Open up and let down my guard- don’t let past experience or perceptions stop me from reaching out to others and making connections. The previous steps were critical in making it possible for me to be successful.



  6. Work on nurturing friendships that start to develop by being a good listener and friend. Be empathetic to their life struggles. The researchers noted, that loneliness caused people to be more aware of social threats and that the self protective behavior was self defeating.


  7. I am looking for ways to help others. I am trying to reach out in different ways than ever before. Feeling needed is the best medicine for my loneliness.


I have been having success with applying these 7 ways to cope with loneliness in my life. I am beginning to feel more connections with others. Hopefully, I am on the road to recovery and I can share happiness with my friends instead.


Michelle

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm now following you, Michelle :) This post reminds me of when we both read "Feeling Good" when our kids were small, and how helpful it was. Yes, our circle does shrink if we let it. I also liked the part about being brave enough to put yourself out there, instead of relying on past experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that time too. With Al being ill the last few years it has been really hard lately to keep up our connections.
    It is nice to see your family and pictures! I posted a link to your photo site.

    ReplyDelete